1 - 7 of 7 Posts

blopez34

I am learning about Greek spirits as my next quest to understanding Greek culture and cuisine. Of course, I know about ouzo. I went out to eat the other day and they brought over a different spirit I hadn't tried "on the house" - they called it masticha. Here are the spirits I now know about:

- Ouzo - Tastes like anise - I like it!
- Masticha - Made from mastic resin. I also loved it - it was sweet and delicate - tasted a little like evergreen but not too overpowering.
- Metaxa - Greek brandy, I've had it before but not my cup of tea. Not a huge fan of brandy
- Raki - I have Cretan friends so... I drink this with them. It's strong but pleasant, and it seems to go well

What did I miss? I am sure I missed something!

Reactions: Laura48
tsipouro.. it's like ouzo, but stronger.

Random fact- the anise in tsipouro and ouzo is an additive. Many Greeks prefer to drink the two without anise.

Last edited:
tsipouro.. it's like ouzo, but stronger.

Random fact- the anise in tsipouro and ouzo is an additive. Many Greeks prefer to drink the two without anise.
Oh! I didn't know they were a little different - they taste similar to me. I thought the two words were synonymous. I also had no idea the anise was addictive! Fascinating.

I went somewhere - I forget where it was - and I had this delicious - was it kumquat liqueur? I can't remember the name or where in Greece I was - but whatever that is I recommend it lol. Was it Corfu?

Yes, kumquat is a product of Corfu. Another red wine sweet enough to be served as a liqueur is Mauvrodaphne. There is also a great white muscat grape dessert wine from Samos; Samos Vin Doux.

Souma is the Rhodian version. I bought a bottle from a roadside stall and it was crazy stuff. I ended up cooking it with roast plums to burn off some of the alcohol.

Souma is the Rhodian version. I bought a bottle from a roadside stall and it was crazy stuff. I ended up cooking it with roast plums to burn off some of the alcohol.
Wow - I’ve never heard of Souma, but admittedly have only been to Rhodes twice. Was it a home brew? The Samos Vin Doux is very sweet, soft and smooth….like the best Sicilian Marsala. It’s great that the OP wants to explore Greece via their special products.

Reactions: Laura48
Wow - I’ve never heard of Souma, but admittedly have only been to Rhodes twice. Was it a home brew? The Samos Vin Doux is very sweet, soft and smooth….like the best Sicilian Marsala. It’s great that the OP wants to explore Greece via their special products.
The one I bought might well have been home brew, but his road side stand was In the most amazing spot, high up with incredible views, I just fell for the magic of the moment 😆
I’ll look out for the Samos, I like a sweet wine with my desserts. Or any other time for that matter.

Can you use frozen vegetables for Greek dishes?

There are two Greek dishes that I enjoy a lot and like to make a lot - fasolakia and the baked vegetables with the variety.

It's not always realistic for me to make them, though, because of the vegetable situation.

Is it okay to use frozen veggies? These are washed and chopped - they're basically ready to go - so it would save me a lot of time!

fasolakia-greek-food.jpg

Tips to Prevent Phyllo from Drying Out?

I am not new with working with phyllo.

Lately, and I don't know why, the phyllo has been during out as I work with it. It's always store bought phyllo and it may be another brand than what I normally use, but I don't see how that could possibly make a difference.e Perhaps I am working slower. Maybe my kitchen is dryer.

All I know is that I would love some tips on how to prevent the phyllo from drying out! I asked around and people say to keep a wet towel over it. I tried that and the phyllo stuck to the towel so I am obviously missing an important detail.

List of Different Greek Cooking Techniques

I hope you're all doing well! I've recently developed a deep appreciation for Greek cuisine and I'm eager to expand my cooking skills in this area. However, I'm realizing that I might be missing out on some traditional Greek cooking techniques that are essential for authentic dishes.

Could anyone kindly provide me with a list of cooking techniques commonly used in Greek cuisine? Whether it's grilling, baking, braising, or something more specific to Greek cooking, I'm eager to learn! Any insights, tips, or favorite methods would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your responses!

Here's what I can think of so far:

• Frying - usually in olive oil, right? Things like Greek fries and kourabedies come to mind is being fried.
  • Grilling - souvlaki, chicken, etc
  • Sandwiches - gyros, making "toast" that you see on menus in Greece
  • Braising - like braised lamb?
  • On the spot - Lamb, goat
  • Baking - desserts and savory dishes
What have I missed?

Iconic Greek Dishes to Try in Greece and at Home

I'm planning a trip to Greece soon and am incredibly excited about eating meals there. I also love to find Greek restaurants near where I love. I want to make sure I tru all the essentials!

Could you please share some recommendations on the must-try Greek dishes? Whether it's a classic main course, a delightful dessert, or a beloved street food, I'm eager to explore it all!

Greek Grilled Pita Bread - A Recipe

I love to grill - it's that time of year! I grilled some souvlaki the other day and decide to also make some pita bread. I had the dough all prepped. It came out great and tasted good with the souvlaki. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:​

• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (about 110°F)
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Instructions:​

1. Activate the Yeast:
    • In a small bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir gently and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
  2. Prepare the Dough:
    • In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
    • Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil.
    • Mix with a wooden spoon or your hands until the dough starts to come together.
  3. Knead the Dough:
    • Transfer the dough onto a floured surface.
    • Knead the dough for about 8-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour as needed.
  4. First Rise:
    • Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning it to coat all sides with oil.
    • Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
  5. Shape the Pitas:
    • Once the dough has risen, punch it down to release any air.
    • Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
    • On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into a circle about 1/4 inch thick.
  6. Second Rise:
    • Place the rolled-out dough circles on a lightly floured surface or baking sheet.
    • Cover them with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise for about 20-30 minutes.
  7. Grill the Pitas:
    • Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
    • Place the pitas on the grill and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they are puffed up and have nice grill marks.
    • If you prefer, you can also cook them in a cast-iron skillet or on a griddle over medium-high heat.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back