1 - 3 of 3 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

What do you consider the best street food in Greece? Are there any specific dishes or local delicacies that you dream of having again? Also, if you have recommendations for particular places or vendors, that would be fantastic!

Here's what I've got on my list so far:
  • Souvlaki
  • Gyros
  • Loukoumades
  • Spanakopita
  • Bougatsa
But I'd like to go beyond the usual and try the real local flavors that might not be as famous internationally. I'm open to suggestions from all over Greece. I have an idea of what I like but want to see what others say.

When it comes to authentic Greek street food, I had this unforgettable experience at a cozy pizza & kitchen place recommended by a friend. They introduced me to this local delicacy called "souvlaki pita." It's like a flavor explosion wrapped in warm pita bread – juicy meat, fresh veggies, and a drizzle of tzatziki. Absolutely mouthwatering! If you're on the lookout for genuine Greek flavors, therevolution.ie might just surprise you with their culinary offerings.

When it comes to authentic Greek street food, I had this unforgettable experience at a cozy pizza & kitchen place recommended by a friend. They introduced me to this local delicacy called "souvlaki pita." It's like a flavor explosion wrapped in warm pita bread – juicy meat, fresh veggies, and a drizzle of tzatziki. Absolutely mouthwatering! If you're on the lookout for genuine Greek flavors, therevolution.ie might just surprise you with their culinary offerings.
This sounds so good. I'll be going to that area this year I might have to track it down! Thanks for the advice!

For me, the advice is similar - but I don't remember the names of any of the places. I've had the best experiences randomly in out of the way places. My greatest piece of advice is to look out for those moments, and seize them when they fall in your lap.

How do you use Lemon in Greek cuisine?

I know that lemons are common in Greek cuisine. I cook Greek all the time, and I use lemons a lot!

What are some traditional Greek dishes that you use lemons for? I am curious what people do. I tend to make a lot of ladolemono and use it to marinate meats. I also use it as a garnish all the time for both meats and vegetables like spinach, asparagus, etc.

I had thought all Greeks use lemon a lot, but I went over someone's house (Greek) and they didn't seem as into it as my family is...

List of Different Greek Cooking Techniques

I hope you're all doing well! I've recently developed a deep appreciation for Greek cuisine and I'm eager to expand my cooking skills in this area. However, I'm realizing that I might be missing out on some traditional Greek cooking techniques that are essential for authentic dishes.

Could anyone kindly provide me with a list of cooking techniques commonly used in Greek cuisine? Whether it's grilling, baking, braising, or something more specific to Greek cooking, I'm eager to learn! Any insights, tips, or favorite methods would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your responses!

Here's what I can think of so far:

• Frying - usually in olive oil, right? Things like Greek fries and kourabedies come to mind is being fried.
  • Grilling - souvlaki, chicken, etc
  • Sandwiches - gyros, making "toast" that you see on menus in Greece
  • Braising - like braised lamb?
  • On the spot - Lamb, goat
  • Baking - desserts and savory dishes
What have I missed?

Greek Yogurt Pasta Recipe

I thought I would share a recipe for Greek yogurt pasta. I had it in a cafe in Greece once and have been making something similar ever since.

Ingredients

• 8 oz (225g) pasta of your choice (e.g., penne, spaghetti, fusilli)
  • 1 cup (240g) Greek yogurt (plain, full-fat for creaminess)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lemon (juice and zest)
  • 1/4 cup (30g) grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup (30g) crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) pasta cooking water
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • Fresh parsley or basil leaves for garnish (optional)
  • Cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
  • Baby spinach leaves (optional)
Instructions

Cook the Pasta
:

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions until al dente.

Reserve 1/4 cup (60ml) of the pasta cooking water before draining the pasta.

Prepare the Sauce:

In a large mixing bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, minced garlic, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix well.

Add the grated Parmesan cheese, crumbled feta cheese, olive oil, dried oregano, and dried basil. Stir until well combined.

Combine Pasta and Sauce:

Add the cooked pasta to the bowl with the sauce. Toss to coat the pasta evenly.

If the sauce is too thick, gradually add the reserved pasta cooking water until you reach your desired consistency.

Season and Garnish:

Taste the pasta and season with salt and black pepper to your liking.

For an extra touch of freshness, toss in some halved cherry tomatoes and baby spinach leaves.

Garnish with fresh parsley or basil leaves, if desired.

Baklava Syrup with Orange

I thought I'd share this fun fact. My family makes baklava syrup with oranges and I love the flavor! To me, the orange mixed with cinnamon sticks smells like Christmas. My family would always make this around Christmastime.

• 1 cup (240 ml) water
  • 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1 cup (240 ml) honey
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest (from one medium orange)
  • 1/2 cup (120 ml) fresh orange juice (from 1-2 medium oranges)
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 3-4 whole cloves
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
I really just bring the ingredients to a boil and simmer it until it gets as thick as I needed it. You turn it off and let it cool on the stove completely before putting it on the baklava. And you have to put it on the baklava right after it comes out of the oven!

baklava.jpg

Greek Marinated Olives Recipe

I love to serve marinated Greek olives when I have people over. It's easy to do, and I change things each time. The amounts are for a big serving enough for company. I halve the recipe otherwise.
  • 2 cups mixed Greek olives (such as Kalamata, green, or black)
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
  • Lemon zest (optional)
  • Fresh herbs for garnish (such as parsley or basil)
Instructions:
  1. Prepare the olives: Rinse the olives under cold water to remove excess brine. If the olives are very salty, you can soak them in cold water for about 30 minutes, then drain.
  2. Combine ingredients: In a bowl, combine the olives, sliced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried rosemary, and red pepper flakes if using. Gently toss to coat the olives evenly with the marinade.
  3. Marinate: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the olives and marinade to a sealable container. Let the olives marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight, to allow the flavors to meld together.
  4. Serve: Before serving, let the olives come to room temperature to allow the flavors to fully develop. Optionally, garnish with lemon zest and fresh herbs for extra freshness and aroma.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back