1 - 1 of 1 Posts

k_tsoukalas

Administrator
Souvlaki is one of my favorite dishes to make (and eat)! At home, I tend to make it with boneless chicken breast, but when I go out I tend to order pork. I like to marinate the meat for at least a few hours, but I have found that overnight is best. Once it's done marinating, I add pepper and onion chunks to the skewers for extra flavor. Occasionally, I make them without the vegetables, but that is only if I don't have any on hand. The recipe from the Cooking Greek cookbook is almost identical to my method.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

pork-souvlaki-recipe.jpg

Can you use frozen vegetables for Greek dishes?

There are two Greek dishes that I enjoy a lot and like to make a lot - fasolakia and the baked vegetables with the variety.

It's not always realistic for me to make them, though, because of the vegetable situation.

Is it okay to use frozen veggies? These are washed and chopped - they're basically ready to go - so it would save me a lot of time!

fasolakia-greek-food.jpg

Tips to Prevent Phyllo from Drying Out?

I am not new with working with phyllo.

Lately, and I don't know why, the phyllo has been during out as I work with it. It's always store bought phyllo and it may be another brand than what I normally use, but I don't see how that could possibly make a difference.e Perhaps I am working slower. Maybe my kitchen is dryer.

All I know is that I would love some tips on how to prevent the phyllo from drying out! I asked around and people say to keep a wet towel over it. I tried that and the phyllo stuck to the towel so I am obviously missing an important detail.

Greek Grilled Pita Bread - A Recipe

I love to grill - it's that time of year! I grilled some souvlaki the other day and decide to also make some pita bread. I had the dough all prepped. It came out great and tasted good with the souvlaki. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:​

• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for dusting)
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (about 110°F)
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Instructions:​

1. Activate the Yeast:
    • In a small bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Stir gently and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
  2. Prepare the Dough:
    • In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
    • Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil.
    • Mix with a wooden spoon or your hands until the dough starts to come together.
  3. Knead the Dough:
    • Transfer the dough onto a floured surface.
    • Knead the dough for about 8-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour as needed.
  4. First Rise:
    • Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turning it to coat all sides with oil.
    • Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
  5. Shape the Pitas:
    • Once the dough has risen, punch it down to release any air.
    • Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
    • On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball into a circle about 1/4 inch thick.
  6. Second Rise:
    • Place the rolled-out dough circles on a lightly floured surface or baking sheet.
    • Cover them with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise for about 20-30 minutes.
  7. Grill the Pitas:
    • Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
    • Place the pitas on the grill and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they are puffed up and have nice grill marks.
    • If you prefer, you can also cook them in a cast-iron skillet or on a griddle over medium-high heat.

What makes Greek yogurt so special?

I've recently started seeing Greek yogurt everywhere—from grocery store aisles to recipes and even fitness blogs. It seems like it's become a major trend, but I'm curious to know more about it. What makes Greek yogurt so special compared to regular yogurt? Does it really offer more nutritional benefits, or is it just a fad?

I’ve heard it has a thicker texture and is higher in protein, but I’d love to hear from people who regularly consume it or have done their own research. Are there particular brands you recommend? Any specific health benefits or potential downsides I should be aware of?

Favorite Greek comfort foods?

I'm curious to know: what are your favorite Greek comfort foods?

Personally, I've heard a lot about moussaka and spanakopita, but I haven't had the chance to try them yet. Do you have any recommendations or recipes for these dishes? Or perhaps there are other less-known but equally delicious Greek comfort foods I should be aware of?

Looking forward to hearing your favorites and any tips you have for making or finding these comforting dishes!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back